Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I've been researching.


Been looking for fair trade clothing companies to purchase my clothing from. That's the simple version of this post.

The more complicated version is that I have been looking into becoming a advocate for a couple different organizations re separate issues. My realization was this "how can I save someones life while wearing anothers".

I am just know delving into this issue, so please, no judgement. I'm new.

I feel that I have been ignorant to many issues facing humanity. Mostly because I don't know what to do about it. Its overwhelming, but I feel like that can't be my excuse any longer.

The point isn't to become perfect and start shaking fingers. The point is to do my best and lead as an example. To inspire.

I asked a friend for advice on how to sever the thick ties I have to the consumer industry adding that it will be very hard for me. I, like the rest of North America, like convenience. I am a lazy lazy bum. *I know not all North Americans are lazy bums, but I sure am.

My friends words of advice was: "If this choice comes from the heart, it won't be hard"

She is a better person than I and I'm pretty sure giving up "Gap" (paying only 21 cents a day when an average age in Cambodia is $1--or so I read) and other companies alike may stress me out more than an 800 calorie diet.

The Bible says that "faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you cannot see". True.

I think ignorance is being falsely sure of what you hope for (the world or otherwise), being blind to what you cannot see. True?

I think if we were exposed to realities of slave/child labor, we would react differently. Its not our fault and it is our fault. It's messy and it's clear. I think we call that Grey.

Listen to Brooke Fraser: Albertine. I like it.

Here is a list I've complied in my quest to find clothing not made by small children or overworked and under payed adults. I've only gone by what their websites have stated and have not done extensive research on any of them.

This is what I have come up with so far:

*Global Girlfriend
*American Apparel
*The hunger site
*NOVICA
*Justice clothing
*Autonomie Project Inc
*TOMS (shoes)
*Ethletic (shoes)
*Justshirts (just shirts)
*Marigold
*People Tree (the most beautiful clothes)
*Fair Indigo
*Ten Thousand Villages (home decor/goods)
*Global Exchange
*No Sweat Apparel (now only selling wholesale)
*Mahadevi Design
*Body Shop

Organisation:
*Sweatshopwatch.org

Food:
*Earths General Store

Coffee:
*Good Earth Cafe
*Kicking Horse Coffee (so yummy! Joanne and Rosie introduced me to this)

A good idea:
*buy from second hand stores

Dont's I might have thoughts were do's:
*lululemon (now has factories in China)
*Roots (now has factories in China leaving thousands of Canadians without jobs)

I know, I know. If we stop buying from stores that manufacture overseas there will be even more poverty. What if we can change that though? Fair wages.

5 comments:

  1. MEG! we are soul sista's!

    When I was younger i was a tons less ignorant and tons more willing to fight this kind of injustice.

    Lately I have noticed myself falling into the western trend of laziness.
    BUT Curtis and I both have made a pledge (that you can now hold me accountable for) to buying clothes from companies that share our ethics.

    It's such a seemingly insignificant way to fight back, but it's worth the effort and cost, even if the biggest impact is my own conscience. People are always worth it and ignorance on these issues is not bliss, it's oppression.

    KEEP FIGHTIN THE GOOD FIGHT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rae. Maybe you could share with the group as to where you and Curt buy your clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S no impact is insignificant. I was challenged by friends on this issue and that changed my mind! Who knows how many people we can influence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is totally awesome Meaghan - thanks so much for listing all these, I've been meaning to look into where I 'should' buy my clothes/shoes but haven't made the effort yet, so thankful to have a list to go by=)
    lovE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem, Kari. As I keep researching I will update the list. I have added quite a few online stores to the list. See the latest post.

    ReplyDelete