Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's beggining to look a lot youmas.


Hello blog lovers and Christmas lovers alike.

Well doesn't your tree look sparkling from here! Is that? Oh you! Remind me to steer clear of that mistletoe.

Sorry, What was that? I can't hear you over Chestnuts Roasting on An Open Fire. That's better, thanks for turning that down.

Let's chat.

Why is it, that giving has become a requirement at Christmas. It sometimes seems a task.

Don't get me wrong, I love to give gifts. a lot. I'd consider my self a generous person in the area of time and what-not as well. You know, not just the material things.

Its a simple pleasure of mine to see something unexpectedly and buy it for someone I know would love it. This is not difficult for me. It brings me joy.

It's difficult when I feel required to give a gift just because it's standard procedure. Takes the fun out of everything. When gift shopping, I don't like worrying about if it's more or less expensive than what so and so is going to give me or if the gift is too humble or not.

My best friend will attest that the best gift I have ever given her is a wooden back scratcher I bought for her out of the blue. I saw it and I knew she'd love it. Gone are the days she scratches her back with a plastic fork. Does she remember the bath stuff I bought her for Christmas? nope. Will she remember the gift certificate I gave her for her birthday? Probably not. All appreciated? Well of course! but nothing compared to that scratcher.

Christmas, Birthdays and whatever gifts are good. It's still lovely to buy with intent. I'm just not as into it until I find something perfect that fits the person, not the holiday or occasion.

I motion, we spend TIME on people at Christmas and worry about gifts well, never, unless of course we feel like celebrating someone or happen to stumble on the perfect way to say "Merry Youmas" or "Happy Youlidays" no matter the time of year. Please don't think I'm trying to take Christ out of Christmas...that's been done before.

Did I spoil your cheer? I hope not. I hope I've inspired you to become genuine in your gift giving.

I see your latte is empty, may I get you another?

3 comments:

  1. how very hospitable and honest of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminds me of CoolPeopleCare.org - I get a daily email from them that gives you a new way to be fair that day. Every christmas they send out a 'Christmas is Not Your Birthday' note:), offering alternatives to the consumerism of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool--I'll definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete