Thursday, November 26, 2009

Crayons



So I was having a "not the best of days" yesterday and it seemed I was in a rut, a funk, a mood. Though I had reason, I hated feeling like I was walking around in an irritable mode with a dark cloud above my head ready at any moment to release a down pour of negative emotion. I tried the usual talk it out thing. I tried the cake and ice cream thing. I even tried brightening someone elses day by surprising them with a visit and coffee. Nothing would do. I knew I needed to pray and sit at the piano. So I headed to the Church and I did what I went to do. I went to that 'place'. It was good but I dare not say 'not enough'. It was but a strange thought came into my head. Crayons. I want to color. I was headed back to work when I started driving in the other direction towards the drug store. Would you believe me if I told you it took me 10 minutes to pick out a coloring book? The lines needed to be solid. Crisp. and the paper the right feeling. I know what you're thinking: "you're a freak". True. I almost had to settle for a medicore book when I there it was. A floor size superman coloring book laying under stacks of winnie the pooh books (that will be the day). The lines, thick black. The paper bright and definitely not recycled. The drawings simple and screaming "color me!" Almost late for work I did a brisk walk through the stationary isle to pick up my new pack of crayons an away I was. Color therapy.

My friend Julie used to pass out crayons to her college students on the first day of her class each year telling them "When your stressed, take this crayon and smell it". The smell of something farmiliar from your childhood helps reduce stress.

Julie, I bought a whole pack and I feel great.

Love,

Meaghan

3 comments:

  1. meaghan! i'm so glad you started a blog! i love it and i love you! miss you lots and it's so wonderful to see you enjoying in the north-i always knew of your desire to go up there and i'm so proud of you for taking the step. definitely loving your post on crayons! what a great stress-reliever! i look forward to reading your blog on a consistent basis. much love,
    bridget and aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shout out right back at ya. Love the colouring, the snowshoeing, the coffeeing and well just you Meagh! Keep going my friend. Remember to colour in and out of the lines!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. ur the best!

    Tiffanie

    ReplyDelete