Sunday, February 20, 2011

Calgary Culture 101

So I have decided I am going to give Calgary the chance it deserves.

Like any awkward person you meet, you may have to give them time to bloom out of their closed bud. Perhaps though, in this situation, I am the closed bud.

I am going to experiment with what I call "Calgary Culture 101". This is an independent self study but friends are welcome to join. I am hoping that through this little debacle, new friends will be made.

While lazily thumbing through the Herald at work (you needn't worry, the kids were sleeping) I came across a little insert magazine. Swerve. Check it out: http://swervecalgary.com/

I found that there are indeed lots of things I'd like to do in Calgary and to explore it like I would if I went on a vacation to another city. There are people who come to Calgary (I know, it's hard to believe) to find and seek out it's culture so I should do the same.

So far I've found a really lovely cafe. http://www.tmdish.com/what.html They have really delicious food and you can either stay in or take it out. They have yummy veggie dishes, eclectic cold salads and a chai latte that I will frequent often.

Today I am going to go to a film festival viewing. The film is called "The Waiting City". So though it is scary to venture to the trendy part of town alone, I will go.

I am also going to give a large Church's young adults service a try. It's going to be touch and go but a I'm meeting a friend from work so that eases my pain.

Let me know what you would seek out in a new city

No comments:

Post a Comment