Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Magenta


I feel the first time I ever knew that Magenta was a color was when I was watching Blues Clues. Id like to say that I was a child but I was a full fledged teenager that couldn't get enough of talking objects.

This post is not about Blues Clues.

"Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I've got a few missing. It's ok though, because I've got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type.. I'm like, "hey girl, magenta!" and she's like, "oh, you mean purple!" and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, "no - I want magenta!"” -John Mayer

This post is not about John Mayer.

I know some of you are wondering who John Mayer is, that's whole different post or few postings on its own. The short story for those who haven't experienced John Mayer is that he is a musician and singer. For those of you who know me and my love for John Mayer's music you know that summing him up in one line back there was a difficult and painful task.

This post is about how I know what John Mayer is talking about in his quote and how I feel about it.

8 color box-type people are not bad, wrong or dull.

64 color box-people with sharpeners on the back are deep, artistic sorts of people who think too much and can sit in one place for a long time and exit the room with their thoughts without ever actually leaving the room.

I often want to be an 8 color box-type person, but I'm not.

I am a 64 color box type person who likes things summed up in 8 colors but fails miserably at that task.

I can't escape it. Sometimes this is good for me. Sometimes it is not. I like it and I don't like it. I would change it and I wouldn't change it.

Neither box, by the way, is better.

Today, while rummaging through tempera paints to find black (oddly enough) I found a tin of Magenta.

Just saying.

3 comments:

  1. I Dunno...which one do you think I am?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to say 8 as well, but we all know I think WAY too much.
    64 with 8 tendencies once in a while.
    :D

    ReplyDelete